back to memcpy eh?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sat Dec 15 17:22:30 UTC 2001

> In fact I did one even wilder; when ARMs didn't have instruction caches
> it was trivial to do self compiling code.

> Same idea made ARM bitblt go like a rat up a drainpipe even without fast
> memory, caches, pipelining, all this modern crap.

Tim,

Would this be helpful on all of the ARM based PDAs?  You've told me on
multiple occasions that one of the performance issues is the lack of a large
cache on the iPAQ.  Would any of this help in the
sqWin32Window.cpp:iPaqFrameBufferShowDisplayBits[x]() routines?  Or would
the weight of the loop body swamp any gains from minimizing the looping
tests?  I'm rather suspecting the latter, just by eyeball-o-metric analysis,
but you're the ARM performance guru.

	--- Noel