First reference of Smalltalk in usenet

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Sat Dec 15 21:24:55 UTC 2001

Aaron J Reichow (2001-12-15 14:46):

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>
> > Jecel Assumpcao Jr (2001-12-15 16:18):
> >
> > > On Friday 14 December 2001 21:26,  "Justin Walsh" wrote:
> > >
> > > Too bad my old Mac clone doesn't have a network connection and newer
> > > Macs have no floppy drives, so I can't copy these somewhere safer
> > > before they go bad :-(
> >
> > You're running KMail, and if you don't run it on Mac hardware,
> > you should also have a floppy and hfsutils, so that's no excuse :-)
>
> It is an excuse, unfortunately.  He said it was on 400K diskettes, a
> format (along with 800K) that, to my knowledge, only Macs can read.  To a
> PC floppy drive, a 400/800K disks are bunk.

ah, yes, my bad. sorry. I forgot about the singing floppies ...

but still ... I remember how my brother managed to transfer
the ROM contents of our ZX81 onto our Schneider (aka Amstrad) CPC 464.

Basically by opto-coupling, but as this was around '85, he did it by
glueing a photo-diode on the tv-screen and letting it blink
(over night for 8 kB, I think) according to the bits of the bytes.
This was hooked to a few of the parallel I/O-port pins... :-)

A second Mac, dating from the bronze age, and being able to handle
DOS-disks would solve the problem, if you hooked them up via AppleTalk
over a serial connection. Got some geeky kids for this project? :-)

s.