First reference of Smalltalk in usenet

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Dec 17 20:03:56 UTC 2001

On Sunday 16 December 2001 14:40, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> I'd love a copy of these if you get them put together on line.  I
> usually throw everything away as soon as it works, and this was no
> exception.  It could be fun to resurrect.

I hope it is not too late already - I just tried it and got past the
picture of the Smalltalk group and to the "Mac in a ballon" drawing but
then had an error reading the Level 0 image.

The first thing I should do is get a box of floppies and make a copy of
them, if I can.

It might be interesting to write a program in Smalltalk to send disk
images over the serial port and have Squeak running on a PC receive
them. I'll try that this weekend. If that doesn't work, then I'll send
them to Aaron.

Rick's suggestion of vmac is a very good one once I get the files off
the old floppies. This Smalltalk liked to talk directly to the hardware
and doesn't even recognize and ADB keyboard or mouse. I can't imagine
what it would think of USB ;-) Anyway, the only way to use it is in an
original hardware or a good emulation.

Justin was worried about copyright, and with good reason. Since this is
sort of a Squeak -2.0, I wonder how we should treat it? Actually the
important question is: what does Apple think of it?

> I wrote that 10-pager together with the other folks in the group at
> that time.

That has turned out harder to find than the floppies. I hope it is
still somewhere around here....

-- Jecel