[Linux][Newbie] Trouble installing Squeak

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Wed Dec 19 00:03:30 UTC 2001

Hello Squeak folks.  I am trying to install Squeak to my user space in a box running Red Hat 7.2, that I'm connecting to via VNC.

I downloaded the Squeak 3.0 source, image, changes and image file from the links found at http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak .

I followed Ian's instructions -- except that I don't have root privileges, so I copied the executables to ~/bin.  When I change to the working directory that contains the image, source, changes files, and run "squeak Squeak3.0.image", I get the message "Visual class TrueColor is not supported at depth 8." at the command-line.  No Squeak :(.