An experiment with cat, Squeak and mpeg files

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 19:41:33 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 December 2001 10:22 pm, John Hinsley wrote:
> > Can anyone duplicate (or maybe even explain) this:
> >
> > Get two mpeg files. See if they run OK in Squeak's mpeg player.
> >
> > Join them together with cat (cat file2.mpeg>>file1.mpeg )
> >
> > Open them with (say) mtvp (a popular free *nix movie player).
> >
> > They (it) runs, right?
>
> Have you tried
> mpeg3cat file1.mpeg file2.mpeg > newfile.mpeg
> then try playing newfile.mpeg
>
> I think you're getting the headers screwed up if you just cat the files...

Thanks Ned: eventually I found a version which would install (after
wading through lots of rpm -v4 dross from RedHat and Connectiva) but I
always get

Unsupported stream type.
Unsupported stream type.

(This on files which open OK in Squeak and mtvp.)

So I'm obviously pretty low on the learning curve! (Nothing new there
;-)

Something I ought to try is if the files I've used plain old cat on run
in M$'s video stuff: if they do, then the question has to be whether
Squeak's mpeg player _should_ look at headers in the same way as mtvp
and the M$ player.

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211