owner of squeak

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:50:26 UTC 2001

Hi!

--- Stefan Schmiedl <s at xss.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> over at ruby-talk I saw the following claim:
[SNIP]
> Please ignore philosophy, religion and politics, but tell me,
> who, right now, is the "owner of squeak"?
>
> s.

Well, I guess Andrew Greenberg (being real good at this stuff)
can give you the best answer but I think this is it in short:
<take below with a grain of salt, I might be wrong>

There are multiple owners of the code in current Squeak.
The first years of development was done paid by Apple and that
code is "owned" by Apple.
Then Apple released Squeak under an OpenSource license (similar to BSD).
Since then all the improvements have been coming in from different people
and organisations and that code is owned by the respective author (there
might be exceptions where code ownership has been transferred?).
The code developed by the team at Disney is thus "owned" by Disney. (right?)
It hasn't been fully clearly stated but all code being accepted into the
base image should be licensed from the author at hand under the SqueakL.
So the important part is that all the code is licensed under SqueakL.
Which is "very free" as it goes among licenses...

blabla, anyway, Andrew knows better... :-)

One interesting idea is trying to boycott OpenSource code in order to "hurt"
the owner of that code. Hmmm. Let me think... Nope. Don't get it.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek