slurping pages from minnow... [was: Re: Source Forge Changes for 3.2.1]

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 19 19:20:10 UTC 2001

Hi!

--- Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> > <CSOTD>
> > "A small snippet that plays a tune when something has changed at the
> > Squeak Swiki!
> > It simply polls the recent changes page every 30 seconds in a separate
> > Process.
> > Do note though that a too small Delay might overload the poor Swiki. Set
> > it reasonably high..."
>
> I think better would be e.g. 30 *minutes* instead... (your code snippet
> slurps the whole content of the page)

Yes I know, but I would perhaps settle for say 5 minutes - otherwise it is
not that useful... :-)

It would probably be better to be able poll a page with a simple timestamp
for the last page saved. That would be much easier to generate on the server
and much less info to transfer.

We actually have a patched swiki at Bluefish where we keep track of which
"recently changed" pages each person have read and a special url where
a short list of those pages can be accessed. That page is much better suited
for this kind of polling (no HTML formatting etc).

By the way, we profiled a bit of the BigTime Swiki generation of HTML and it looked a bit
strange...
It seemed on my first cursory look that the #nextPutAll: method in WriteStream
fell back on super... I will check into it some more but that looked "wrong" and probably quite
expensive...

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek