[rant] owner of squeak

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Dec 20 04:03:55 UTC 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> Just ignore this.  The person is either a language bigot who couldn't
> discern a better excuse to pan Smalltalk, or nuts.

(rant "
Maybe.  Frankly, I think he's just fanatically pro-life.  And I don't
think it's a bad idea to support your ideology through indirect means.
Using Squeak doesn't directly support Disney, and thus assist Disney in
helping them fund Planned Parenthood.

That is the issue this person has with Squeak.  For example, I don't shop
at any Walmart/Sam's Club for a great number of moral reasons (rabid union
busting behavior, saturation stragety, not carrying a majority of valid
and approved birth control devices).  That makes a little more sense, as
when one shops at Walmart, they support with their dollars their moral
agenda.

I think every consumer should "vote with their dollar," as the saying
goes.  A consumer who doesn't is either ignorant (usually the case) or
apethetic.  Being totally ignorant is kind of a failure to do one's civic
duty, but no regular jane has the time and resources to track the doings
of every company to which they give over their funds.  Those who are
apthetic... It's sad to see people so hyptocritial sometimes.

I don't want to start a flamewar, so let's keep it down.  My intent isn't
to start one, but to hopefully clarify.

") ;; who needs xml-like rant tags- s-exps always did it better!

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere