[rant] owner of squeak

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Fri Dec 21 13:43:33 UTC 2001

> From: Richard A. O'Keefe [mailto:ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz]
>
> I'm rather upset that our government spent 10 million dollars buying
> Windows XP and related software for schools when (a) a lot of schools
> here have Macintoshes, and (b) Linux and StarOffice are
> available free,
> gratis, and for nothing.  Doubtless someone who wants to boycott Sun
> would be happy that the "owners" of StarOffice "lost a sale", but they
> wouldn't have got any money for it, and haven't really "lost" a cent.
> (StarOffice is now OpenOffice.)

Here's a story I saw yesterday about XP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7098-2001Dec20.html

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company