An Idea: A bit more support

Editor - Squeak News editor at squeaknews.com
Sat Dec 22 00:00:24 UTC 2001

Hi Marcus, Stef, and everybody,

> Hi!
>
> > Then as a university we could buy this cd to support Squeak community.
> >
> > Tell me what you think.

We can attest to Stef's generosity: he was among the very first to support
us.

> It would be a good thing to have such a CD. I imagine this to look very
> much like a Squeak-News CD, but with more contents, it should include
> everything from introduction articles to technical stuff.
> Just the kind of CD you would like to give to your friends or hand
> out at a conference.

This was very much in line with our plans for the Dec-January issue. BTW you
can give copies of Squeak News to your friends or hand them out at a
conference without problems because Squeak News license allows you to give
away copies as long as the reason is introduction, evaluation, promotion and
helping further development of Squeak, or for educational or self
development purposes.

> This is not much different from what Tansel wants to do in the double
> issue of SqueakNews...

Quite right. Squeak News is a very suitable medium for such distribution,
because we already include the VMs for every platform we can find, as one of
our goals is to make Squeak News to work seamlessly on (almost) every known
platform.(except CE as Squeak News has no hope of working on a CE
environment unless it goes on a strict diet.)  Also our CDs are hybrid
format and can be read in most popular platforms even hiding certain
platform-specific details from other platforms.
We have received numerous requests to include the latest Squeak
distributions with our issues. However I was reluctant to include latest
virgin images regularly with Squeak News because I am not sure if Squeak
Central or Squeak Foundation have any plans to sell Squeak CDs, and our move
could have preempted such an avenue of income for these organizations.
One thing we can do though we can include  latest distributions of Squeak in
the Squeak News CDs until such time a Squeak Foundation would like to sell
Squeak on a CD.

I am sure there won't be a problem to include a full 3.2 distribution image
in the December-January issue. The only thing is, I guess Stef wants to
support others as well ;)

>      Marcus

Cheers,

Tansel Ersavas