[GOODIE] TestMaker

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 22 14:34:23 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:27:08PM +0300, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> A few blessed voices have been heard about adding more tests to the
> image. Unfortunately, our system is a little biased against this -
> * There's no really trivial way to post a Test.
> * SUnit is new - we're not that well versed making them.
> * If you're coding an ENH or Goodie, you're somewhat likely not to feel
> very militant about finding bugs in it right away, you're too happy the
> darned things works.
>
> In the tradition of proposing things that create work for other people,
> but maybe people will like it:

This is a very good idea, I like it. As long as it is OK to propose things
that create work for other people, I have some suggestions ;)

- It would be good if ParagraphEditor>>createTestFor: could suggest the
right class name and selector to use. This would encourage consistency
in naming, and would help folks who are not familiar with the naming
conventions.

- This deserves its own 'make test case' menu choice.

- Perhaps some creative person could do a UI that generates the test
cases. I could imagine one pane in the UI which would contain a (possibly
empty) list of expressions which should succeed, and another pane
containing expressions which should fail. The end result might look
like a "TestCaseBrowser" which could be used for browsing classes and
interactively generating test cases.

This is very nice, thanks!