Opening cross-platform images

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 24 05:38:01 UTC 2001

>I suspect this is an elementary regimen involving finder info magic --
>creator, file type etc.
>
>Can anyone tell me the incantation to get Carbon Squeak on OS X to see an
>image on a file server created under Windows?  There *has to be* a way to do
>this ...
>
>I'm still delirious with pleasure over Morphic -- this is *EXACTLY* the
>framework I've been looking for for the last 13 years or so!

Mmm beyond trying 3.2.1Beta4 you should know there are some serious
problems with netatalk. You could try NFS versus netatalk that might
work better, but you'll need to backup your mac files under netatalk
and restore under UFS to remangle the resource forks.

Things I know about, well if you have werid characters or a directory
name too long then netatalk won't deal with it. Also if you update
from the windows machine, then OS-X might not re-read the directory
information via netatalk so you won't see the files appear
automagically. which is what I think your problem is.

Also check the netatalk project in sourceforge.net to see about
what's fix/current. Mmm somehow I think I'm going to migrate to UFS
just because of the werid issues under netatalk, and the lack of >
2/4GB files and long file names.

PS you should turn the OS-X crash reporter on if not already on and
send any core dump information to Marcel <marcel at metaobject.com>

With Mac OS X 10, add the line

CRASHREPORTER=-YES-

to /etc/hostconfig to get a backtrace of each crash.  With Mac OS X
10.1.x, use the Preferences menu item in Console.app to turn on crash logs.