assert or sqAssert? [was: Re: Source Forge Changes for 3.2.1]

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 24 21:46:32 UTC 2001

It sounds to me that there are several varieties of 'assert()' that
exist in C-land and a variety of ways of getting them into an
executable. This suggests to me that we should sidstep the problem by
using our own name (is there anything wrong with #sqAssert: ?) and
defining it to sensibly suit the needs of the vm. I see from a cursory
search on the web that there is at least a dichotomy between assert()s
that simply write the line & function name out to a log and those that
then abort you program. I'm not sure either is adequate for real uses;
wouldn't it be more useful to have a flag for a fatal problem so you can
choose whether you need to log or die?

tim

Useful random insult:- Useful as a hip pocket on a T-shirt.