Opening cross-platform images

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Mon Dec 24 23:27:00 UTC 2001

I wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the incantation to get Carbon Squeak on OS X to see an
> image on a file server created under Windows?  There *has to be* a way to do
> this ...

I'm still clueless as to how to do this under MacOS 9, but under OS X (UNIX
wins again!!) the following regime, while disgusting, will work:

1.  Create an image that OS X Carbon Squeak will open.  Inside Squeak do
save as and save the image under the name you would like to copy from your
"foreign" file server.

2.  Copy the "foreign" image to some temp directory under Mac OS X.  (This
step can be omitted if you're using NFS or some other file system for which
the following command will work directly.)

3.  At the shell, overwrite .image and .changes files you made in step 1 by
dd'ing them from the files you made in step 2.

Woila, Carbon Squeak will now see and open the image.

---
Jim Rosenberg
http://www.well.com/user/jer/
     CIS: 71515,124