Seeking advice on demos/documentation

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Dec 27 06:57:51 UTC 2001

If I can get past a few more bugs, I'm hoping to put a little
application out.  The documentation is rather sparse, and it seemed to
me a walk through a typical usage cycle might help.

I was just going to write a narrative, but it struck me that having a
real demo might help.  Ideally, it would be good to have something
that the user could follow along with, and that would display text
messages as it went (my ability to record audio is doubtful, and
anyway that would be huge).  In this ideal world, the playback could
be paused or its pace changed.

I've seen some references to EventRecorder for doing this, and wonder
if that is a reasonable place to start.

Also, if people have ideas about other approaches to conveying the
information, I'd love to hear them.  I know that personally I usually
find demos annoying, so I'm not quite sure why it seems appealing to
me now.  I guess one factor is I think I can produce it faster than a
really full-featured documentation set.  Since I'm playing around with
the application, it's in nothing like a final state, so the complete
documentation would be extravagant even if I had tons of time.

Thanks in advance.