assert or sqAssert? [was: Re: Source Forge Changes for 3.2.1]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Thu Dec 27 20:22:50 UTC 2001

John M McIntosh wrote:

> >Not for the Linux version! *Where* happens this '#include <assert.h>'
> >leading to this clash? There is no such include here.
>
> Looking deeper into this it seems that assert.h is included by
> Apple's core foundation header. This header is gotten to by
> sqConfig.h which on the mac  under OS-X includes
> "/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/MacTypes.h" which
>
> includes
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/CarbonCore.h"
> which includes
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CoreFoundation.h"
>
> which at some point includes assert.h found at
> "/usr/include/gcc/darwin/2.95.2/g++/../assert.h"

What about just
	#undef assert
(I think without braces) just after the
	#include "/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/MacTypes.h"
in sqConfig.h?
This should allow the inclusion of headers potentially using 'assert()'s,
but removes its definition for the Squeak sources.
Have you tried this approach?

> >I just wanted (I'm not really sure, see below) to have the most common
> >ANSI-C assert.

See also my last mail in response to Tim in this thread.

> If your BSD assert (what means BSD here?) is such a thing,
> >OK.
>
> Below is the man page for the BSD (aka FreeBSD being the reference
> edition for OS-X) assert,

OK.

Greetings,

Stephan