Building Linux VM with VMMaker from sourceforge CVS

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 28 15:48:47 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 08:22:38AM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:

<snip>

"building a linux VM...

> should be a case of
>
> get image (up to 4478 currently tested by me)
> load VMMAker
> VMMakerTool openInWorld
> choose your poisons (which plugins are internal/external/ignored)
> pres the go button
> wait
> .
> .
> .
> chmod a+x src/con* src/ac* src/in* src/lt* src/util/*  (to make stuff
> executable - see other emails about the problems of copying files and
> losing vital info in the process)
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../src/configure

Nothing seems unusual up to this point.

> make

Now it gets wierd.  I should mention that I'm using an image updated
to 4478, and building just the core VM (I'll mess with plugins once I
get this to work).  One of two things happens; the first happens when I
use the src/ directory generated by VMMaker, and the second when I use
a copied version ("cp -r") of that directory.

The first thing that might happen is that typing "make" results in the output:

cd ../src && aclocal
cd ../src && autoconf
configure.in:142: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:143: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
Bconfigure.in:144: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
../src/configure --prefix=/usr/local --exec_prefix=/usr/local --bindir=/usr/local/bin --libdir=/usr/local/lib --mandir=/usr/local/man
<repeat of configure>
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating inisqueak
creating sqUnixConfig.h
sqUnixConfig.h is unchanged
CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
creating Makefile
make: *** No rule to make target `../src/src/Makefile.in', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.

This behavior is unlike any other unix program I have tried to
compile.  Subsequent invocations of "make" just elicit a repeat of the
line:

make: *** No rule to make target `../src/src/Makefile.in', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.

The other thing that might happen is that typing "make" appears to run normally up until
the following output:

copying last section of file
mv gnuify.out gnu-interp.c
gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1  -funroll-loops -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUNIX -DSQ_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.1a-4164\" -I. -I../src/vm  -c gnu-interp.c
gnu-interp.c:1234: conflicting types for `readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt'
../src/vm/sq.h:309: previous declaration of `readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt'
make: *** [gnu-interp.o] Error 1

This is a more reasonable error, but an error nonetheless.  I have a
hunch that the first behavior might be avoided by using VMMaker with a
properly compiled FilePlugin.  However, to do that, I have to avoid the
second error.

Help?

Thanks,
Joshua