Building Linux VM with VMMaker from sourceforge CVS

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 28 21:15:05 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:22:31PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > `../src/src/Makefile.in', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.
> > > This is very strange - there is no way it should be looking
> > for anything
> > > in ../src/src, so clearly there is some wrinkle in the
> > makefile stuff
> > > that can go a little daft. Please, _somebody_ out there is surely
> > > knowledgable about this stuff; please help clean it up!
> >
> > Like I said, building with a copy of the source ("diff -r oldsrc
> > copiedsrc" verifies that they are the same) doesn't have the same
> > problem.  I also manually compared all of the file permissions in the
> > two directories.  I have no idea what the difference could possibly
> > be.
>
> Translating make's error message into a more plain "I am missing the file
> `../src/src/Makefile.in' and don't know how to create it myself" I would
> guess that "../src/src/" should probably be "../src/" - so it all looks like
> a problem with your base directory.

I can see how what I wrote above might be misinterpreted.  Here is exactly what
I did:

-generate src/ with VMMaker (do chmod a+x, etc.)
-tried to build; got error described above

-rm -fr src
-generate src with VMMaker (do chmod a+x, etc.)
-mv src origsrc
-cp -r origsrc src
-tried to build; did not get error described above

I verified that the directories src/ and origsrc/ are the same with
"diff -r".  When I try:
-rm -fr src
-mv origsrc src
-try to build