[FIX][VM][UNIX] vmPath (was: "Re: [BUGS] Looking for plugins (Linux)")

Joern Eyrich joern at eyrich.org
Sat Dec 29 04:54:56 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:10:03PM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > On a related note, "Smalltalk vmPath" incorrectly answers the
> > directory that the image resides in.
> So it does. And it does it with deliberate care - see
> platforms/unix/vm/sqXWindow.c>RecordFullPathForImageName(). Looks like a
> fix is needed from someone that understands how to get path info for the
excutable.

fix (context diff) is attached.

I don't like that the result has a slash appended (plus, it's
inconsistent with SystemDictionary>>imagePath, which doesn't the
trailing slash), but the source file loading mechanism seems to rely on
that (SystemDictionary>>sourcesName); If I would leave out the slash and
change the image accordingly, other platforms would probably break.
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the source file name anyway,
FileDirectory class>>openSources:forImage: seems to expect just the file
name, but is passed the absolute pathname.
anybody knows what's *supposed* to be going on here?

btw, what do I have to do to be able to check in files into the SF CVS?

Joern