VMMaker thoughts

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 31 21:19:58 UTC 2001

>I've finally started playing with VMMaker, and have a few thoughts that
>might make it smoother, at least on Unix.
>
>First, it doesn't really need to copy files around, does it?  It's no
>trouble to write the makefile, at least on Unix, to compile files
>directly from the two different locations.
>
>Second, how about creating a file each listing the internal and external
>plugins that are to be used?  This would be handy for generating the
>makefile, especially if files aren't copied around any longer.
>

>Finally, let's have some space in CVS for files that are shared among
>multiple platforms.  In particular, libmpeg should be shared; it seems
>silly to copy all of libmpeg to each platform's MPEGPlugin subdirectory.
>  Actually, from my quick glance, I don't see libmpeg in there at all.
>If it's not there, let's put it there!
>
>-Lex

Last time I looked there was a Mpeg3Plugin folder in the cross
platform folder. I think you should view VMMaker as an attempt as an
easy way to build a VM which of course could need improving. One
could build make files, or OS-X project files, or CW files XML files
that would build things based on the selections of external/internal
plugins, it just takes time, getting the code in shape to enable all
this was a bit time consuming.