How to recover a hosed image?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Feb 13 20:47:57 UTC 2001

I made a big mistake the other day...

I blew up the image by having a Morph with a nil submorphs instvar opened in
the world.

That is, something like:

	(Morph new privateSubmorphs: nil) openInWorld

This brings up the emergency evaluator (after you hit Enter).

Then I typed:

	Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true

in the emergency evaluator.

OK, it quit. But I'd also saved this bad morph. Oops!

So I couldn't restart the image. I didn't really want to sift back through my
changes file if I could help it.

So I tried to start Squeak with a script that would delete the bad morph.

Unfortunately, Squeak starts up Morphic before my script can run.

Any suggestions for getting my image back? Give up and poke through the
changes?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA