Question about ValueHolder?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Feb 21 23:08:31 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 14:05, Elzbieta Chludzinska wrote:

> Question: How useful can this be when the dependent being notified of the
> change in the #ValueHolder's contents doesn't know which instance of
> #ValueHolder changed it contents and to what?

The way it seems to have been used is to notify a scalar view of a value
change; this means that its dependents typically wouldn't be dependent on
more than one ValueHolder.

But it isn't used too much. There seems to be little interest in making MVC
functionality any better in Squeak, perhaps because all of Squeak Central's
work is focused on non-MVC schemes like Morphic.

Morphs like UpdatingStringMorph use polling in their step methods rather
than using notification.

Stephen Pope (I think) has added changed:with: etc. in some of his stuff (a
la VisualWorks).

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA