Lot's of pixels are nice to have -- was Re: Project layout

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 27 20:36:56 UTC 2001

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com> is widely believed to have written:

> I've seen it and the number of pixels is wonderful, but you still
> can't read PDF on it .....
It's not just the pixel pitch, it's also how well the fonts and lines
are rendered. My Acorn machine runs an Apple 15" LCD monitor at
1024*768, 16bpp. Its port of xpdf uses the Acorn antialiased fonts and
antialiased line drawing system calls to produce extremely clear
results; way, way better than any of my Macs or linux machines can do.
Unfortunately, the port of xpdf has quite a few other sorts of bugs that
ruin the overall experience :-(
Nonetheless, a good antialiasing drawing engine can produce good results
even when the pixel pitch is not particuarly good. In fact Acorn
originally developed their code to try to make decent visual quality
available on the terrible 604*480 14" monitors that were all that mere
mortals could afford in 1989. Oh, and on the TVs that many used in the
UK in those far off days.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LC: Lobotomize CPU