[All] About the collective book on Smalltalk Technologies

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 22 09:10:30 UTC 2001

Hi,

This is a generic letter that we are sending to every potential
authors of the Smalltalk Technology Collaborative Book.  The purpose
of this email is to accurately evaluate what we can expect.

There are three cases:

- You contributed to the list of topics that you would like to see.
Have you the possibility to contribute or do you know somebody that
could?  If yes can you update the pages with the information and send
(ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) an email.

- You expressed the wish to participate to the collective book on
Smalltalk Technology that we would like to publish.
Have you added your name to the list of authors in the page
http://brain.cs.uiuc.edu/StWritersCoop/A+collaborative+Book+for+Smalltalk

- You were not aware of the book but you would like to
participate. Please do and follow the previous point.

We would like to have some dates for seeing the book taking shape.
We propose you to work the following ways:
   - Provide a first version of a chapter for the 15 of June.
   You have now 4 months to write it :)
   - We will ask the community to give feedback for the chapter.
   We will also review all the material sent.
   - Provide a second version for the 15 of September

At that time we should have a good idea of the contents of the book.
What is really important to notice is that the book will be the book
of what the people want to write. So if you think that the contents of
the book is too XX or not enough YYY, just write or ask somebody you
know to write something. Notice also that depending on the quality of
the material we can have two books, so do not hesitate to participate.
However, what should be clear is that a certain quality is expected
for the book, so we reserse for us the possibility to not include in
the book a bad chapter.

We would like to have a Camp Smalltalk part on the current projects.
Feel free to participate.

PS: I will attend Smalltalk Solution so we can discuss there about this book.

Stef

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.