optional panes out-of-the-box, and other preferences

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 6 15:11:02 UTC 2001

Jesse Welton <jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> I've been using them for testing layout features, and will turn them
> off otherwise because I find they eat more screen than they're worth.
> But I do think they're valuable for new users to get an idea of what
> system navigation features are available from a browser.  Goodness
> knows I was lost when I first started.

This is the reason I'd like the buttons to be there.  Though honestly, I
find that I *do* use them a lot, now that they're present.

The annotation panes are very nice, but they slow down message browsing
by a large factor.  They'd significantly up the CPU you need to develop
in Squeak, so I'd hesitantly vote they not go in.  I love being able to
see what changesets a method is in, or who wrote a method.

-Lex