[Bug] BookMorphs and HeadMorphs in 3.0

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 22 13:47:21 UTC 2001

I just prepared my first talk (for SIGCSE) entirely in Squeak, using
the 3.0 final with updates up to 3552.  I had several problems, two
of which are replicable.

- If you create a thumbnail of a BookMorph page, then enable the
bookmark, you get a walkback.  The bookmark by itself works fine,
however.

- I got the Play Writing Workbench from my textbook working 3.0 with
only a slight tweak because orientation: has disappeared (code pasted
below, which I'll also post on the errata site).  But the HeadMorphs
don't "fit" anymore -- see the attached picture.  Inspecting them
shows that the bounds on the HeadMorphs are LARGER than the
fullbounds.  I couldn't figure out a way to fix that.

- Here's the occasional one: I would put some text strings on a
BookMorph page (call it Page #1), then make a copy of one and drag it
out of the book, add a page (Page #2), then put the copy on the new
page and edit it.  When I turned back to Page #1, I'd find my string
from Page #2 on Page #1.  I delete the extra string from Page #1, and
everything is fine on both Page #1 and Page #2.  I couldn't get it to
happen all the time, though.

I have one question for those using Squeak for presentations: If you
build your talk from multiple, linked projects (as Alan does), how do
you publish your talk for others to file in?  It's easy if you use
BookMorphs, but spreading across multiple projects makes it harder.
Has anyone figured out a mechanism of walking a project and those
linked to it, and publishing them retaining links between them.

Mark

'From Squeak3.0 of 4 February 2001 [latest update: #3552] on 21
February 2001 at 9:03:08 am'!

!PlayBench class methodsFor: 'instance creation' stamp: 'mjg 2/21/2001 09:03'!
new
	| me |
	me _ super new "Accept submorphs vertically"
		listDirection: #topToBottom;
		hResizing: #spaceFill;
		vResizing: #spaceFill.
	^me setUp "Set up the pieces"