Easy on the icons! (was Re: Native GUI Squeak?)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Feb 17 23:22:01 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Jochen" == Jochen F Rick <nadja at cc.gatech.edu> writes:

Jochen> Excellent point; however, I think Bruner (and Alan) mean icon
Jochen> in a larger sense (something related to something by
Jochen> similarity) as opposed to the computer icon (visual icon). In
Jochen> the larger sense of the word, the crash sound that Macs used
Jochen> to make when crashing is an icon, because it represent the
Jochen> crashing of the computer by the sound that a car makes when it
Jochen> crashes.

I've heard those called "ear-cons".  I like that.