Squeak/linux/iPaq display speed

Yoshiki Ohshima ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Tue Feb 20 01:35:57 UTC 2001

  Hello, Kevin,

> >   On my iPaq, the results are:
> >
> >     depth    msec
> >       1      8650
> >       4      8381
> >       8      9065
> >      16     11821
> >      32     11920
> >

> I can only give you results running on 2.9a for the moment...I haven't had a
> chance to get 3.0 up and running yet.  So, here they are:
>
> depth	msec
> 8	4896
> 16	5259
> 32	6138

   It is faster!

  You uses X Window System, right?  It seems that the direct
frame-buffer acess has an advantage over using X (at least
in forceToScreen-speed-wise).  I won't be surprized if the
result for 16 bit depth is under 2000 (I'd say it should).

> Keep in mind that this is _still_ with an unoptimized VM...the handhelds folks
> haven't updated the toolchain yet to a compiler that can handle doing
> optimizations. :(

  This might be the case that the optimizer cannot do much
because the operation is so memory intensive.  It could be
3-10% speed up? (just a wild guess)

  Thank you very much.  This helps a lot:-)

  -- Yoshiki