[ENH] Add 'chase pointers' (PointerFinder) to inspector menu

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Feb 13 07:24:49 UTC 2001

This adds a 'chase pointers' menu item to the Inspector menu.  This uses the PointerFinder to create a list of backward links to an originating global variable pointing to the inspected object.

An existing menu item in the ProcessBrowser does the same thing, but this seems like a generally useful enough feature that it belongs in the Inspector, too.  It's great for tracking down objects which you think should have been garbage collected (even more essential than the existing 'objects pointing to this value' menu item, I'd say).

(By the way, I think I've run across a reproducible case in which the PointerFinder comes up empty on an object inspected via allInstances.  Are there known limitations, or should I report this as a bug in the PointerFinder?  (Or could the PointerFinder be revealing a bug in the garbage collector? ;-) ;-) )

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com