Macintosh VM (requests -- clipboard)

C. Keith Ray ckeithray at home.com
Mon Feb 5 19:58:37 UTC 2001

> Hear, hear!
>
> The bigger one I'd like is the kind of facility that Andreas just
> announced for Win32: Could we copy-paste GRAPHICS?  We probably need
> a PICT reader first...
>
> Mark

Could you point me to where the current text clip-board code is in Squeak?
The "proper" behavior would allow the user to copy *anything* from squeak to
the system clipboard and vice-versa.

If it possible to Copy/Paste Morphs within squeak, it should be possible to
copy a Morph, paste it into Apple Scrapbook, quit Squeak. Run Squeak again,
copy the Morph from the Apple Scrapbook and paste it back into Squeak. (Or
copy to/from two concurrently running versions of Squeak.)

In this example, Squeak should write to the clipboard its "native format"
and a PICT representation and possibly a text representation. A paint
program would accept the PICT representation from the clipboard, a text
editor would accept the text representation, and the Apple Scrapbook would
accept all three representations (but only display the PICT representation).

When reading from the clipboard, Squeak would first look for its "native
format", then the PICT format, and then the text format.

Handling drag-and-drop of various types (including filetype 'clpt' creator
'drag') would involve some of the same code... the clipboard formats should
be used when dragging from Squeak to the Finder desktop.

I'm going to try to help with implementing read/write access to resource
forks. If it hasn't already been implemented, get/set "Finder Info" of files
can also be implemented. [Then I could look at the clipboard code.] At some
point, it should be possible write code in Squeak that transforms a two-fork
Mac file into its MacBinary representation, and vice versa.

C. Keith Ray