Modular Squeak Environments - Proposal/Status/Volunteer

Joerg Beekmann jbeekmann at equinix.com
Wed Feb 21 19:33:41 UTC 2001

I have some ideas for this and would be willing to spend time on it. Either
independently with the goal of integrating it into the system later or under
the co-ordination of Squeak Central.

My current thinking is that Environments should provide more than just name
space isolation. They should also be the units of system composition that
understand their dependence on other units. A total Squeak system is a
configuration of units each with particular version numbers.  My vision is
that when a unit is loaded it can determine if the required pre-requisites
(at the requested version level, or a later and declared to be compatible
level) are present if not prompt to load those.

What I'd like to know is how active development is on this sub-project and
how close to completion it is.

cheers joerg

Joerg Beekmann
jbeekmann at attglobal.com