Is gcc required to compile a unix vm?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Feb 7 23:00:54 UTC 2001

Another question on Unix, especially Solaris:  Is there any chance to make
the source run with CC instead of GCC?  I was told that normally, Suns CC
generate code that runs twice as fast as GCC-generated SPARC code.  As
Squeak is IMHO very slow, I'd like to use any chance to make it faster.  I
know that the gnuify script does something to the code which is
gcc-specific but are there other problems to expect?

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \\ Truth Until Paradox