[3.0] suggestion: inboard scroll bars

Lantz Rowland lantz at aabysgallery.com
Mon Feb 12 08:45:16 UTC 2001

At 03:22 pm 2/11/01, Lex Spoon wrote:

>[snip]  The main point is, we ought to try very hard to pick something that
>most anyone can use and then set up the initial image with those choices.

Yes please. The choice has nothing to do with the religious preferences or
what working habits you have developed. The desire is to have a NewSqueaker
look at Squeak for the first time and see that this is something new,
different and wonderful must also not frustrate them or they will go away.

Most NewSqueakers will have never seen a Smalltalk-80 style ScrollBar,
while even those who have never touched a computer will probably have seen
the Macintosh HI style ScrollBar, inboard on the right and may even know
the term ScrollBar.  Having the ScrollBar inboard on the left is a slightly
different look, that catches peoples attention (which we want), yet the
Human Interface of how to use the control to manipulate the view is the same.

I have never met a person used to the Smalltalk-80 style of ScrollBar ,
external to the content Pane, who could not easily use an inboard ScrollBar
control, perhaps while searching for a switch to request their old friend
the flap. Those NewSqueakers, I expect to have no trouble finding the
Preference panel for scrolling and knowing exactly what the term
inboardScrollBars means when they find it. So for that set of NewSqueakers
we can show them something new and different in Squeak and they will not
get lost.

While I have seen many people embrace and love having the ScrollBar as a
flap on the left, I have also seen that style control freeze many people in
confusion the first time they see one.  It is primarily that effect that I
would like to avoid, until the NewSqueaker chooses to try that Preference.
If they get lost then, they most likely will learn what the term
inboardScrollBars means and have a better chance to reverse the preference
or just quit Squeak without saving the change.

" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "
" Scrolling Preferences for NewSqueakers "

Preferences
   enable: #inboardScrollBars
     "- Works the same as the more familiar Mac Human Interface style ";
   disable: #scrollBarsOnRight
     "- The Different Look For Most NewSqueakers ";
   disable: #hiddenScrollBars
     "- less confusing at first and gently provides more information";
   disable: #scrollBarsWithoutMenuButton
     "- Show the tiny control that has good feedback and information ";
   disable: #scrollBarsNarrow
     "- larger control instead of the PDA size ".

"  -- zL 2/11/2001 18:45"
" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "

I have not observed any NewSqueaker get confused or stuck when starting
with these scrolling preferences.  With my suggestion that they use these
settings for a few days before playing with some of the options available,
I find that those who refuse to try these settings for even an hour are
going to either enable: #scrollBarsOnRight or to disable:
#inboardScrollBars, but will try the other settings as is for a while.

As a tangent, while I understood the mindset and assumptions when it first
appeared, I consider the BalloonMorph we present NewSqueakers for
inboardScrollbars to be ... misleading information.

         Preferences helpMessageForPreference: #inboardScrollbars .
" ==>
'inboardScrollbars:
If true, then ScrollPane
will place scrollbars
inside on the right and
will not hide them on exit'  "

I suggest  we change this to:

'inboardScrollbars:
If true, then ScrollPane
will place Scrollbars
inside of the pane
next to the content and
will not hide them on exit'

Depending on the Project I am working on at the time, in Squeak, I freely
adjust any of these to fit the task. As to my personal (religious)
preferences for scrolling, I dislike the constraints imposed when I am
outside of Squeak.

>PS -- the best way to scroll is probably to use a special gesture with
>your stylus  :)

<chuckle> Naa.

The best way, is for the content to scroll itself when it knows you need it to.

Lantz

--
   Lantz Rowland <lantz at aabysgallery.com>  PgpKey: 0x67E5DFA5
   Squeakers doIt, all the time!