Easy on the icons! (was Re: Native GUI Squeak?)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Feb 17 23:38:00 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Bert" == Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

Bert> On 17 Feb 2001, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> In fact, I should experiment with the halos... I suspect I'd have a
>> better time if each halo bubble was one or two letters ("M" or "MN"
>> tells me more than a little icon of a menu, for example).

Bert> And I did try so badly to come up with "meaningfull" icons. You know,
Bert> there was a time when the halos were only colored. How long would you have
Bert> stared on *that* until you figure out that "blue" means "rotate"?  :-)

Yes, the little icons help.  Sometimes, I can turn them into letters
in my mind, so then the words finally get heard.

In fact, I was gonna comment on that in my last message.  Colors that
are similar shades are the worst, because then I have to make up more
words like "light pink" or "dark pink" or "red".

Bert> IMO an interface should allow to safely experiment. You just click a halo
Bert> handle and you *feel* what it does. That's much better for learning
Bert> than help bubbles.

Well, that "X" icon is a bit non-reversible. :)