[Win32] Preliminary 3.0 VM available

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Feb 5 05:35:55 UTC 2001

Ah! That explains it. You're running into a well known but very unfortunate
situation. When the VM identifies itself as running under Windows NT (and 2K
reports itself as NT) then it needs to figure out if it has been started as
an NT service. This distinction is tremendously hard to make so I've added a
few rules that quickly reject this possibility. However, if the VM cannot
quickly reject the possibility it needs to attempt a communication with the
service manager - and that communication takes about fifteen seconds (please
don't ask me why).

The quick workaround for this problem is *not* to start Squeak simply by
double clicking on the executable but to actually drop an image onto it (one
of the quick rejection rules is that when given an explicit image name it
won't even attempt to run as a service).

Hope this helps for now,
  - Andreas