Squeak Stability

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 7 21:29:07 UTC 2001

Hi,
	I've followed with interest the threads on Squeak stability
and thought that we should keep in mind that while Squeak
3.x isn't stable in the sense that it is unchanging, it is stable
in the sense that you can probably stop updating at almost
any change set number and you will have a working Squeak
that you can do your own real work on.  Squeak is
amazingly robust and seems to work well almost all of
the time.  I say this as I type on a powerbook with a corrupt
file system that I pray will hold together until I finish moving
and can properly back it up and rebuild it, my NT system spent
a good chunk of it's day running Dr. Watson, and my office
mate spent a good bit of his day hacking on the low level
structure on a Lisp machine's file structure to avoid the fate
of another co worker who spent Sunday (in Switzerland where
one does NOT work on Sunday) reformatting and reinstalling
Lisp machine disks to fix problems.  So, with that
perspective Squeak is quite stable.

  I've found that if one wants a robust Test Pilot release, perhaps
a contridiction in terms, one just needs to wait until a week or so
after the last Dan Ingalls update mail message and then update.
For right now one can just downlaod the 3.0 image and changes
from the FTP site and you should be ok until the final 3.0 comes
out.

cheers

bruce