Squeak3.0 final files available

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Feb 20 17:23:22 UTC 2001

>On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Dan Ingalls wrote:
>
>> I have just put out the final Squeak3.0.
>
>Wasn't one of the major points of jumping to 3.0 writing a new sources
>file? Why do we start with 800K changes now?

Hey, What's 800k between friends?

If I had planned things better (and known how long a process the release of 3.0 would be), I might have called the sources file we have been using V3beta.sources, or I might have waited a bit longer before writing it.  As it is, it seemed like we would have rampant confusion if I put out a *different* SqueakV3.sources of the anem name (and you would be complaining if the name were not consistent with the past ;-).  Plus everyone on the list would have had to download another and store it beside the one they were already using.   And, even with such foresight and extra effort, I could not have anticipated the latest VM changes that are 300k of that 800k.

Believe me, I like things pure and clean, too.  But putting out a release is, first and foremost, an protracted exercise in management of chaos.  Me, I'm just happy the darn thing boots ;-).

	- Dan