Two problems with new Windows VM

Mike Rutenberg mdr at scn.org
Sun Feb 11 14:24:06 UTC 2001

I am running Windows 98, 2nd edition running on a laptop.  I downloaded Andreas's zip file combining the new 3.0 Beta 3 VM and image.

Sound is not working well.  I'm trying "AbstractSound stereoBachFugue play" with the following results (using in all cases the 3.0 Alpha 3 interpreter):
DirectSound	3.0 Image   --> NO SOUND
noDirectSound	3.0 Image  --> NO SOUND
DirectSound	(2.9alpha to update 2774)   --> NO SOUND
noDirectSound	(2.9alpha to update 2774)   --> Yea Sound!!

Also, it looks like the DirectSound VM option is not sticky, so if I save&quit and restart the image, the VM again has DirectSound checked.

The other is a small thing, but wanted to mention it.  I double click on the Squeak Image icon (which is roughly at the middle of the display) and then take my hands off the keyboard.  The image launches, and the Squeak cursor is visible in the middle of the display.  After about one second, the MENU FLAP opens up to show the top couple of inches of the contained menus.  If I then return my hands to the mouse, move it up over the menu area, and then back to where it started from, then the MENU FLAP goes away as expected.  My (wild) guess is that the image starts up with mouse coordinates of (0,0), which is sitting over the "Menus" tab.  That causes the flap to open up, but then the cursor is magically moved by the VM to the center of the display.

Mike

p.s. Thanks Andreas for all your work on this!