various prices for Mark's book

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Mon Feb 12 22:02:42 UTC 2001

Or perhaps "middle-aged-male don't-wanna-be-bothered-to-comparison-shop"
consumer.  Hah!  I'll show 'em!  <harrumph>  I'll, um, let my wife do all
the shopping from now on...  <hangs head, slinks away>

:-)

When I went to cancel Mark's book from one of my outstanding orders at
Amazon (I had it combined with the Kim Rose book to save on shipping costs,
so I wouldn't have received it for a while) I found that the price listed on
my order was 33.75, which elsewhere (i.e. Barnes & Noble) is listed as the
retail price.  So I cancelled it at Amazon and re-ordered at Barnes & Noble,
since even with shipping it was cheaper to buy it at B&N.  The moral of the
story, I guess, is to maintain accounts at multiple bookstores, and shop
around.  (For those interested, CD's are about 50 cents cheaper at B&N than
at Amazon.  If you're ordering a bunch it could save you a few bucks).
Given that others are seeing the $45 price for Mark's book I guess I'm not
being "targeted" by Amazon (or else perhaps we all are - hang on...)...I
just had one of the guys I work with who doesn't shop at Amazon often check
the price on Mark's book and it showed up as $45 for him as well, so it
looks like perhaps Amazon is charging a premium on "hot" items.  (Hang on
again)...I also had my wife check on Marks book and she saw a price of $45
as well.  Thus it looks like Amazon really *is* charging a premium for some
items.  Caveat emptor!

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken