Native GUI Squeak?

C. Keith Ray ckeithray at home.com
Sat Feb 17 16:42:11 UTC 2001

[...]
> I think you are not giving the Internet enough credit. Most people in
> the world spend most of their time on computers using the newer
> interfaces (poorly done albeit) that they experience within a browser
> on the web. These are not standard Windows and Mac interfaces. Of the
> next billion new machines, probably less than 10-15% will be PCs of
> any kind. The rest will be PDAs and phones. These require (and will
> allow) new interfaces that are not "standard".
[...]

I believe the book "The Humane Interface" by Raskin describes a "zooming"
interface for a hospital information system that is untraditional, but
supposedly intuitive for its users. In the the maximum zoom-in, you have one
or more documents open for editing, it the maximum zoom-out, you can
navigate to different parts of the system.

I personally would like Squeak to have the flexibility to allow developing
untraditional interfaces *and* traditional interfaces (and web interfaces
and so on), with an easy and automatic separation of interface from model.

----

C. Keith Ray
<http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>