How to implement events on Unix?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Feb 10 11:28:33 UTC 2001

At 23:42 08.02.01 -0800, Raab, Andreas wrote:
>Well, from my point of view I'm just *way* more interested in personal
>computing, media authoring and education. I don't think it's a bad sign
>that Squeak doesn't qualify as application server ;-)

Andreas, allow me to rant a bit on that statement.  I think, it's fine if
*you* only need a CPU-cycle-hungry desktop-centric graphical-playground
application.  However as one member of the Squeak central, you should also
consider other use cases and try to make the system as general-purpose as
possible.  This is what made languages like Python so big and
successful.  Actually, the big advantage of Python is IMHO that van Rossum
always concentrated on the core language and libraries without restricting
himself to a certain application.

Your point of view is a valid user's point of view.  However, as a system
maintainer, you've more responsibilities.  Sometimes, it can be difficult
not to get into conflicts here.   Specially, if there's - as usual - not
enough time :-)

What would be the solution?  Well, to start with, first accept that
there're more things possible with Squeak than Squeak Central might think
of.  Then, try to make yourself aware when you're a user and when a system
maintainer.  Try to separate issues.

Or tell people clearly "this is our system; you're allowed (and welcome) to
watch the great things we're doing, you might even help us, but don't
expect anything from us."  But this IMHO not enough for a successful open
source Smalltalk project.

Please don't feel offended, this is just an extrapolated opinion.

I feel better now :-)

bye
--
My eyes adapted to the darkness... finally I can see clearly now