[updates] 27 more for 3.1
Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Feb 12 06:23:04 UTC 2001
...being mostly bug fixes, performance enhancements and preference tweaks.
This should be essentially the final makeup for 3.0, as well, as soon as I sort through and post them (have I said this before? ;-). Therefore all testing will be greatly appreciated as usual. Tomorrow, I hope to have a true 3.0gamma out for folks to bang on.
Here are the summaries...
3537tweaks-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2001
* Makes it so the Preferences panel does not get dragged by a mouse-click anywhere other than on its title bar (thanx to Bob Arning).
* PasteUpMorph dropEnabled is set up so that in the backstop case -- for grandfathered instances -- it assumes the appropriate value."
3538buttonFire-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2001
* Adds 'fire' to the vocabulary of any morph/player; for those morphs that constitute our (overlarge) library of Buttons (this includes MenuItemMorphs), in every case this will actually trigger the button's action. #fire also provides glue to two other button-programming mechanisms also available in Morphic, namely Bob Arning's mouseUpCodeToRun mechanism, and the player-scripting ability to associate scripts with mouse-down and mouse-up actions. It is conceivable that a morph could have all three kinds of firing code!
* Adds, to the menu next to every user-defined script in a Viewer, a command allowing you directly to tear off a button to fire that script, access to which formerly required that you open up the Scriptor first.
* Fixes a few buglets and gets the scripting system's structures reinitialized."
3539partsPinTwo-raa -- Bob Arning -- 7 February 2001
Ensure that the second coming of the standard parts bin is as well sized as the first."
3540moreLocking-raa -- Bob Arning -- 7 February 2001
Further tweak to locking parts of SystemWindow necessitated by recent changes moving some morphs down a layer"
3541SysStartup-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 7 February 2001
Make #readDocumentFile go through the security manager. Remove directory creation when loading keys."
3542EventTweaks-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 7 February 2001
Flushes the event queue when the state based primitives are used and stimulate the input semaphore in certain places.
3543findPrefPanel-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2001
Makes the standard way of getting a Preferences panel (in morphic anyway) be to find and reuse any existing such panel, rather than always launching a new one.
Adds cmd-shift-P as a desktop keyboard shortcut for finding and opening a Preferences panel.
If there are users who intentionally *want* to have multiple Preference Panels open on the same screen, there is still a protocol to do that (Preferences openNewPreferencesPanel) but the standard buttons and controls in the image use the new paradigm."
3544personalPrefs-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2001
Allows the user to save a snapshot of all currenly Preferences settings as her 'personal preferences', and allows the user to restore such settings at any time.
Also adds a mechanism allowing latter-day overrides concerning the categories of various preferences -- see #postHocCategoryAdjustments.
Strips project-related preferences out from their old categories and places them in a new 'projects' category.
The Preferences Panel opens up showing the ? (Help) page now. And there is a 'help!' button on that page which, when hit, provides some help.
A do-it in the postscript saves all the prevailing settings as of the moment of loading this update as the inital seed for 'personal preferences'. Thus, any user wishing to explore our latest take on what the out-of-box preferences will be can ask for the system defaults to be installed, play with the system for as long as desried in that state, and then revert to the former settings by hitting 'Restore my Personal Preferences', and be none the worse for it."
3545EtoyCleanup-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 7 February 2001
Cleans up the tile brightening stuff and some minor other things I just ran across. In effect, the CS adds 4 methods and removes about 30. Various others were slightly simplified."
3546trashTweaks-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 February 2001
Opening up a trash-can that resided in a flap had become broken with the recent change that made double-click the gesture for opening the trash. This is now repaired in this update -- the double-click now opens the Scraps-Book squarely in the center of the screen, right on the desktop.
Balloon help for the trashcan is improved also.
Standard left (Squeak) flap modified such that it again has pop-open/pop-closed behavior on *drag-over*. This is handy for throwing away something that your hand is carrying -- just drag it over the Squeak tab, then the flap will pop open, and you can drop the unwanted item onto the trashcan found at the bottom of that flap. This change will not take effect until flaps are reinitialized however."
3547hibernate-raa -- Bob Arning -- 8 February 2001
hibernate project thumbnails to save some memory"
3548squeakFlapEtc-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 8 February 2001
Some improvements primarily centered around the Squeak flap.
(1) The three space- and cpu-consuming status lines are removed; in their place is an 'about this system...' item, clicking of which will bring up the status information.
(2) The action of the Annotations button now places the annotations window automatically rather than placing it in the hand.
(3) The 'about flaps...' button is removed from the Squeak flap (it's still available in the 'windows and flaps' menu.)
(4) The information obtained when requesting 'about flaps' has been brought up to date.
(5) The window-colors panel now opens in the center of the world rather than being attached to the hand at launch.
(6) The 'annotations...' button is removed from the Squeak flap and relocated to the 'help' menu. Seemingly almost nobody ever read the information provided anyway so why bother putting it in such a conspicuous place?
(7) Some variant wording between the mvc and morphic versions of the Help menu are harmonized."
3549TileTweaks-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 8 February 2001
Two tile tweaks. Disallow picking up any tile that has an arrow on (so that clicks outside don't pick up the entire phrase). Give drop feedback when dropping tiles on tiles."
3551BltmodeForSPR-hg -- Henrik Gedenryd -- 6 February 2001
Adds Blt mode needed by subpixel-rendered fonts. Regenerate VM or compile external BitBlt plugin from 'BitBltSimulation translate'. Works for 2.8-3.0 (at least).
Fixes a BitBlt bug that prevents this from working in 16 bits (no mask for 5 bit values). Re-synchronizes transfer mode numbers for BitBlt and FXBlt."
3552MsgTallyFix-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 8 February 2001
A fix for MessageTally behavior."
3553justDropped-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 9 February 2001
Adds a missing super call to PhraseTileMorph.justDrooppedInto:event:"
3554EvtProcessing-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 9 February 2001
An attempt of giving faster feedback when processing mouse events. The world will be updated immediately after the first mouse event came in."
3555formerPos-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 9 February 2001
Fixes a bug pointed out by Harry E. Fassl wherein a morph dropped back on the thumbnailing parts bin (e.g. the Supplies Flap) from whence it originated could generate an error."
3556JumpingScriptors-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 9 February 2001
Make the scriptors appear closer to the guy dropped. Also fixes a problem reported by Bob."
3557FXBltFix -- Yoshiki Ohshima -- 10 February 2001
Fixes a problem in FXBlt>>copyLoopPixels writing beyound the end of the form."
3558BeOSFix-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 10 February 2001
Fix the definitions to use BEOS_SQUEAK."
3559MenuLayer-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 10 February 2001
Fix the layer for menus in stayUp mode."
3560commonReq-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 10 February 2001
In Morphic, for the 'Common Requests' feature (from the 'do' menu item in the Screen menu), use a proper menu morph, and allow it to stay up. Note that this makes it easy to create a button that will evaluate any given do-it. Just put the do-it in common-request-strings, bring them up in their persistent-menu form, choose the item you want, and duplicate it.
Also, tweaks the initial settings, and reinitializes the common-request-strings to these new initial settings."
3561fasterBrowsers-raa -- Bob Arning -- 9 February 2001
Speed up browser opening by setting #highlightSelector before the list selector is set, thus avoiding double list initialization"
3562alanTweaks-raa -- Bob Arning -- 7 February 2001
- when beginning a new painting, hide flaps automatically so as not to obscure the paint box"
3563eventPollTime-raa -- Bob Arning -- 10 February 2001
Change EventSensor poll time to 500 since other code is now ensuring that adequeate calls are made. With this change, the use of #higherPerformance in EventSensor is discontinued"
More information about the Squeak-dev