[updates] 85 new ones / Fast-track beta / Please test

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Feb 1 18:32:51 UTC 2001

Jesse Welton wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
> >
> > Dan Ingalls wrote:
> > >
> > > We will limit further updates between now and the CD freeze to bug fixes.
> >
> > The only small plug I would make would be to include Jesse Welton's
> > LayoutFix changeset posted earlier today, which is sort of a bug
> > fix.  (It fixes the problems Whisker has with the current
> > LayoutFrame stuff, anyway.)  The changeset seems to work fine in
> > 2.9a-3278... there are no direct conflicts with other (post-3193)
> > changesets, either.  Maybe give it a shot for a few days, anyway.
>
> Besides addressing (some of) the conceptual problems with SystemWindow
> layout, it also fixes a concrete layout bug in the FileContentsBrowser
> and Celeste.  In these windows, the bottom pane stuck out below the
> window frame.  So I think it's more than "sort of a bug fix".  It
> fixes a honest-to-goodness behavioral bug.

(Actually, it looks like someone else already fixed the FileContentsBrowser in 3278.  But Celeste was not fixed, and neither was Scamper, so you've still got 2 concrete fixes to your credit. :) )

> I also think that the layout offset handling should be made
> consistent.  It's not a behavioral bug, per se, but it's a conceptual
> bug that I think is all the more important to fix in a product
> oriented towards beginning Squeakers.  (To review: LayoutFrames'
> bottomOffsets are sometimes treated as offsets, and sometimes as
> insets.  Yuck!)  I'm happy to do this, and I'm working on it.  All I
> need is to figure out how to handle object conversion.  A word from SC
> as to whether offsets or insets is the preferred behavior would help,
> as well.

If SqC doesn't have a strong opinion on this, I would tend to just go with offsets.  I believe that LayoutFrames in VisualWorks are always treated as offsets, but I'm not positive... it would be worth checking.  (As far as the object conversion goes, wouldn't a single pass through LayoutFrames allInstances take care of it?  You wouldn't have to check for class version or anything.  Or is the problem that you only want to convert the LayoutFrames that are in SystemWindows, or vice versa?)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com