How to implement events on Unix?

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri Feb 9 03:33:00 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" wrote:

<snipped>

> The input semaphore is only useful if in fact the VM event processing loop
> is running in a separate thread. In this case, it can signal the input
> semaphore to announce that events are available.

What do you think about having two threads? Do you see platform
compatibility problems there?

<snipped>

> > And what's about sockets or serial port?  Are they still
> > polled or will they also use events?
>
> They're still polled. The key issue in the VM event stuff was not loose user
> input events anymore.

I think that real events (with a second thread) could improve
- performance (response times) and
- elegancy of code
here.
But I'm not deep enough in this stuff to be sure that this feeling is
correct.

Greetings,

Stephan
--