Squeak3.0 final files available

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Feb 21 23:38:53 UTC 2001

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   3.0 "final" means "final beta" or something like that,
> rather than 3.0 "final release," right?

No, I think it does mean "final release", because that's the version that's going out on the CD-ROM for the 2nd Squeak Book, which has already been mastered with this version, I believe.

However, there still may be some bugfixes applied to 3.0 after the final/official release.  You could think of these as patches to an official release, which is a reasonable and common practice.

I guess it's really up to Squeak Central which release they want to call the "final" one, but I think the name "final" is a pretty good indication that this is the one.

(Speaking of the 2nd Squeak Book, is there a good shorthand name for the 1st Squeak Book versus the 2nd Squeak Book?  (Their official titles are too long and too similar for me to remember.)  Or will they be forever called the 1st and 2nd books, kind of like the Blue Book, Green Book, etc.? :-) )

>   By the way, I wonder why the top-left button in viewers
> and the trash can look like "collapse" button, although it
> acts as "close" button.  Maybe we should fix it?

You're right, that should be fixed.  They should have the regular close ("X") button.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com