[updates] 85 new ones / Fast-track beta / Please test

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Feb 1 01:23:21 UTC 2001

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> With sincere appreciation of all the points raised regarding 2.9ff possibilities, we are declaring this to be a fast-track beta for Release 3.0, targeted to freeze (in aobut a week) and ship on the CDROM for Mark and Kim's forthcoming book on Squeak (*).  Therefore we will greatly appreciate any and all testing you can give it.

Goodbye 2.9, we hardly knew ye. :)

> We plan to issue an image with all these changes, and with a morphic front end (you can still use MVC if desired) in the next day or two.

Hooray!  A morphic front end will help with some of the out-of-the-box issues people have with Squeak, IMHO.

I guess there won't be time to stick in a new look & feel for 3.0 after all, if 3.0 is to be the release name for the Squeak book... ah well.  I guess it wouldn't make much sense to have a new look in the release for the book, since the pictures in the book will all be based on the old look anyway.

> We will limit further updates between now and the CD freeze to bug fixes.

The only small plug I would make would be to include Jesse Welton's LayoutFix changeset posted earlier today, which is sort of a bug fix.  (It fixes the problems Whisker has with the current LayoutFrame stuff, anyway.)  The changeset seems to work fine in 2.9a-3278... there are no direct conflicts with other (post-3193) changesets, either.  Maybe give it a shot for a few days, anyway.

(As a quick verification that his changeset works, modify Browser>>openAsMorphEditing: so that hSepFrac is set to 0.5.  Then if you shrink a system browser down to its minimum height, the subpanes will still each take up 50% vertically.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com