[Win32] Preliminary 3.0 VM available

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Feb 5 03:01:48 UTC 2001

Folks,

I've just put out a preliminary 3.0 VM onto
http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/Squeak30Exe.zip
with the sources (since people were asking) at
http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/src/Squeak3.0Alpha1Src.zip

This VM is preliminary in such that not everything that I wanted to fix has
been fixed yet. However, there are a couple of noticable
improvements/changes:
* Support for drag and drop from the OS:
Just grab a BMP file out of the explorer and drop it onto the fresh 3.0
image.
[NB: Even works with images directly from IE; but not with links, nor
Netscape]
* Support for DirectSound:
This is still somewhat preliminary. I'd like people to try out how it works
and report any problems. If you're running on NT prior to 4.0 SP4 you may
not have DSound available - in this (or any other case causing serious
problems) you can turn off DSound from the VM preferences (press F2 to get
there and turn off "Use DirectSound"). [NB: I'm trying to make this
automatic if DSound is not available but I need to figure out the difference
between NT and Win2K and I don't know yet how]
Currently, there is one known problem with the sound if you're not using the
DSound version which is related to a Squeak side problem. The attached CS
fixes the problem (it'll come in the update stream later).
I'd also like people to compare the DSound and non-DSound versions of
sounds. On my machine it appears that using DSound causes some noise - I am
not sure where this is coming from and if that's just a problem on my
machine. If anybody else experiences similar things, please report it back
(if it's a general problem I'll investigate where it's coming from - if not,
I'll just live with it :-)

Enjoy,
  - Andreas