[BUG] Low Space problem in 3.0

James Howe jwh at allencreek.com
Tue Feb 20 14:32:22 UTC 2001

 >Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:09:39 -0800
 >To: James Howe <jwh at allencreek.com>
 >From: Dan Ingalls <Dan.Ingalls at disney.com>
 >Subject: Re: [BUG] Low Space problem in 3.0
 >Cc: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
 >
 >> I just downloaded the new Squeak 3.0 final with the latest Windows VM and
 >> I'm trying to run it under Windows 2000. I brought up the image and poked
 >> around some of the examples. I then loaded in some simple turtle graphic
 >> classes which I've been using under 2.8, and when I tried to run the
code I
 >> received a "Space is Low" alert. Unfortunately, the system them proceeded
 >> to hang. I've played with various incarnations of Squeak 3.0 and have
 >> always run into low space problems. I'm certainly not doing anything that
 >> a person new to Squeak wouldn't be trying so it concerns me that the
system
 >> always locks up. Has anybody else run into this sort of problem? I really
 >> like the way 3.0 has shaped up, but the stability (at least on my machine)
 >> is bothersome.
 >
 > Hi, James -
 >
 > It will help a lot, if you want follow-up on this, to be more specific:
 >
 > * include the file you read in
 >
 > * and what you executed
 >
 > * and the contents of the lowSpace error file
 >
 > (assuming it got written)
 >
 > Specific error reports help us to improve Squeak ;-)
 >
 > Vague error reports just make us feel bad :(
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > - Dan

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad and being a software developer
myself I know how frustrating it can be to get vague error reports..  I
didn't mean to be vague, I was just curious if other people had experienced
a similar problem.

To be more specific about my problem, I suspect that it has to do with the
fact that I set my color depth to 32, coupled with a 1600x1200
resolution.  If I run the 3.0 image and set my display depth to 32, the
space left is 1,607,204.  I visited various things in the Worlds of
Squeak.  In particular I went to Fun With Morphic and click on the keyboard
a few times, went back to the previous project, played the Bach
fugue.  Space left dropped to around 1.4 meg after all this.  I then opened
a new Morphic project and entered it.  I set a gradient color.  I opened a
file list and filed in a .st file (contents attached).  I then opened a
workspace and executed this line:

x := PetesTurtle new.

which successfully placed a turtle on my desktop.  I then executed this:

x go: 200

which proceeded to display the Space Is Low window.  Once the window
appeared, the system hung.

I realize that specifying a 32 bit large resolution window will consume
large amounts of memory, but it doesn't seem that the system should
hang.  It also seems that Squeak should start out with more memory
allocated to it by default.  I know that I can specify more memory on the
command line, but the first time Squeak user is more likely to run it in
the default configuration and may be inclined to do the things that I
did.  If the system hangs, the new user is more likely to think that Squeak
is bad and not to think that maybe he just needs to allocate more memory to
the VM.

I've also attached the low space debug log file.

I hope this is less vague.  :-)