[BUG] Confused about font sizes

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sat Feb 3 20:23:57 UTC 2001

At 11:03 +0100 2/3/01, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:
>David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:
>
>> What are the right sizes, and why aren't they the same everywhere?
>>
>> Dave
>
>Strictly, 10, 12, 18, 24 are the right sizes. (However these are for 72 dpi
>screens, as there are roughly 72 points-not pixels-per inch. The Windows
>standard is 96 dpi.) The point size is set by the font designer, it has
>nothing to do with the physical (pixel or other) size. Try putting up the
>same (large) size of say, Helvetica, Times and Palatino and see how
>different they are in size.
>
>This tends to confuse people a lot. However, there is no good measure that
>"captures" the size well. If anything, the physical size to care about
>should be the "x height" i.e. the height of a lower case letter without
>stems, as this is the best measure of how large the type is perceived to be.
>
>Henrik

Henrik:

OK, but Squeak still uses 12, 15, 18, 24 in the font menu, and requires another set of sizes to set the proper font size in a TextMorph as I pointed out.

I don't care what sizes are used, but they should be uniformly used in Squeak and should have some rationale behind the uniform values used.

Dave
--
David N. Smith