[updates] 85 new ones / Fast-track beta / Please test

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:04:41 UTC 2001

Doug Way wrote:

> Dan Ingalls wrote:
> >
> > We will limit further updates between now and the CD freeze to bug fixes.
>
> The only small plug I would make would be to include Jesse Welton's
> LayoutFix changeset posted earlier today, which is sort of a bug
> fix.  (It fixes the problems Whisker has with the current
> LayoutFrame stuff, anyway.)  The changeset seems to work fine in
> 2.9a-3278... there are no direct conflicts with other (post-3193)
> changesets, either.  Maybe give it a shot for a few days, anyway.

Besides addressing (some of) the conceptual problems with SystemWindow
layout, it also fixes a concrete layout bug in the FileContentsBrowser
and Celeste.  In these windows, the bottom pane stuck out below the
window frame.  So I think it's more than "sort of a bug fix".  It
fixes a honest-to-goodness behavioral bug.

I also think that the layout offset handling should be made
consistent.  It's not a behavioral bug, per se, but it's a conceptual
bug that I think is all the more important to fix in a product
oriented towards beginning Squeakers.  (To review: LayoutFrames'
bottomOffsets are sometimes treated as offsets, and sometimes as
insets.  Yuck!)  I'm happy to do this, and I'm working on it.  All I
need is to figure out how to handle object conversion.  A word from SC
as to whether offsets or insets is the preferred behavior would help,
as well.

-Jesse